The Merlin MS Centre respects your privacy and realises how important it is that your personal information remains secure. We comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and any other relevant statutory and self-regulation such as the Charities (Protection and Social Investment Act) 2006.
This document explains how we collect, manage and protect your details, but if you would like more information please contact us. A copy of our Data Protection Policy can be provided on request.
Post: Centre Manager, The Merlin MS Centre, Bradbury House, Hewas Water, St. Austell, PL26 7JF
Phone: 01726 885530
What information does the Merlin MS Centre collect about me?
This information will typically include your name, postal address, e-mail, telephone and your bank details if you are supporting us financially.
To provide the right support, therapy and information to people who wish to use the service, as part of our registration process, we may collect sensitive and personal information about your health condition including any drugs or treatments you are currently undertaking.
How is this information collected?
Personal information is collected directly from you when you interact with the Merlin MS Centre for example by registering as a service user; signing up to participate in an event; donating; or volunteering.
We may also obtain personal information about you if a carer, family member or friend contacts us on your behalf
Your information may be shared with us by individual event organisers or fundraising sites, but only if you have indicated you wish to support the Merlin MS Centre.
Information Available Publicly
This may include information found in places like Companies House or in publishes articles and newspapers.
How is my information used?
We collect your information to process your requests and to keep you informed about the work of the Merlin Ms Centre. Developing a better understanding of our supporters and service users through their personal data allows us make better decisions, fundraise more efficiently and to ensure we provide support to more people with Multiple Sclerosis (MS) and other neurological conditions in Cornwall. Your information may be used in the following ways:
- To provide you with information about the services, support and information you have requested. We use your information to gain a full understanding of your situation so we can provide you with the best possible support.
- To process donations or other payments; to verify financial transactions and to claim Gift Aid on your donation.
- To record any contact with you and provide you with information that is tailored and relevant to you
- We may occasionally use external information to check the accuracy of the contact details we hold. For example, the Postcode Address File is used if we have an incomplete or inaccurate address.
- From time to time we may use external data sources to create a profile of your interests so that our communications to you are as appropriate and cost effective as possible.
- With your consent, we will you sent you occasional information to let you know about the work of the charity; the services we provide; to ask for support; or to send details about fundraising events and activities.
- Sharing your story. If you give your consent to share your experience of the Merlin MS Centre, this may be made public by us at events, in materials promoting our charity and fundraising work; or in documents such as our annual review.
Will you ever sell or swap my information to other organisations?
We will never sell or swap your personal details with other organisations for their marketing purposes. We may be required to disclose personal information if required to do so by law, for example for fraud prevention, or to another health professional who is involved in your treatment or care. This would be with your consent and knowledge only.
If we are using an external organisation to run an event on our behalf such as an overseas charity challenge, we would only pass on your contact details with your explicit consent and for that organisation to send you information relating to that event only.
How secure is the information I give you?
The Merlin MS Centre takes the care of your personal information seriously and undertakes to protect your information in a range of ways including secure servers and firewalls (For further information see the Merlin MS Centre Information Security Policies). We follow payment card industry (PCI) security guidelines when processing credit/debit card payments.
Sensitive and health-related information about our registered users is kept secure and managed separately from other data provided to the charity.
On the Merlin MS Centre’s Social Media platforms, we do not display full names and addresses without your prior consent. However, please be aware that when posting information on social media sites your information is publicly accessible and therefore you should avoid sharing personal information that may be used to identify you.
How long will you keep my information and what about If I don’t want any contact from you ?
We will retain your information while you have an active relationship with the Merlin MS Centre. If you cease to have an active relationship with us or request no further contact, we may retain some basic information to avoid sending you unwanted materials in the future and to ensure that we don’t accidently duplicate information.
On our marketing literature, we provide an Opt Out box for anyone who wishes to no longer receive information about the charity, its work and its fundraising activities. In the future, it may be necessary for you to Opt In to receive information about the Merlin MS Centre. This document and our materials will be updated accordingly.
Accessing and Updating Your Personal Information
If you wish to access the information we hold about you, please contact us at the address above. If your personal circumstances change, please advise us so we can update your details.